Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Main gear box

While waiting on parts to finish the engine bay area I started to remove the main landing gear and quickly realized that I was going to need some help. The main gear are held in with 1, yes 1 3/4" pin and that pin is retained by a small spring clip and the clip was missing. The directions said to remove the clip and tap out with a punch. I gave it all I had "tapping" on the pin to no avail. Dennis came out and we started to drill out the pin and we were still not able to get it out. On Monday we are going to try some heat and see if that will loosen the pin.
I got the floor skins under the pilots feet pulled up and the skins over the main gear box area so we can better inspect the castings and gear box.
I don't know if you can tell but the bulkhead to the right of the casting is bent. It is 1/8" thick and has an I beam shape. This is on the side that the wheel was broken off (you can see the broken gear in the picture above). Eventually all the individual parts will have to be removed, inspected and reassembled. So more pictures to come of the gear box area.
Tomorrow Noah and Luke have there Pinewood derby for scouts. I'll have a post about that next week. Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment